Saturday, April 24, 2010

Why You Should Blog

Chad Levitt recently wrote a post about the importance of having a blog. Throughout the semester it has been time consuming to blog on a weekly basis, and I will be the first to admit that I have simply forgotten a few times. Mainly because I had too much on my plate from my other classes and my internship. After reading the article, I feel guilty for not blogging on a regular basis.

Here is a list as to why blogging is important to building your personal brand:

1. Search engines love blogs
2. Blogs are link sticky
3. You are creating an enduring asset you own
4. Increase your opportunities to get found
5. It's all about eyeballs

My personal learning project this semester covered personal branding. As a senior who is graduating in two weeks and has yet to figure out where I will be heading after graduation, it is important that I build a brand for myself. One of my goals for my PLP was to have my website appear on the first page of search results. I was successful in making it the first result, but my blog isn't even on the first page. Instead, the first page results include my website, facebook page, linked in, and then blog comments from others in my class. Had I have spent more time updating my blog, it would pop up on the first page of results.

Levitt's fourth reason as to why one should blog was important to me.
Think of every one of your blog posts as a lottery ticket; the more lottery tickets you have the more opportunities you have to win. Winning the lottery can mean getting the job you want, making more money, or just being seen as a thought leader in your space. Whatever your lottery is, each blog post you own is another chance at winning your lottery.

Here's to hoping my blog holds the winning ticket to a career after graudation.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate. I wasn't as enthusiastic about blogging as I should have been, but I feel that I've gotten a lot out of this experience. I think it would be easier to blog on a daily or weekly basis if it wasn't for a grade and if it was for a more personal use, such as a blog about a travel experience, etc. But I really enjoyed your list of why blogging is beneficial, thanks!

    ReplyDelete